Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's Six O'Clock. Do You Know Where Your Pets Are?

I was sitting here a couple hours ago and suddenly Rosey and Lucy ran for the slider like they wanted to kill something. There was a beautiful Husky standing on the deck looking into the kitchen.

I went out through the garage and called him off the deck and out of their sight. He romped over to me in the yard. I checked; no tags, just a training collar. I tried to shoo him out of the yard but he just wanted to play.

I've never seen him before. We live on a country road, and the houses are a little ways apart. I know all the families nearby and have never seen this dog. Paul thought he had seen him in the area but didn't know where he belonged.

I reluctantly tried to chase him out of the yard, Lucy and Rosey were still having fits in the house, but he just kept coming back to me. Finally he wandered off to the house next door where he tried to get in the door. I heard loud voices trying to shoo him away.

It seemed like he was lost and trying to find a house to get into. If I didn't have two dogs who don't share I would have brought him in while we tried to find his owner but that wasn't going to happen. Lucy the Jack Russell Terror wanted to rip his throat out. Rosey thought he was a little too friendly if you know what I mean.

Finally he wandered off. Paul called and left a message for the town dog officer. We made a couple calls to neighbors further down the road but no one knew him.

I don't see him out in the yard or around the road, and now I'm wishing he would come back. We'd keep him in the garage at least over night but now he's gone, and I'm going to worry wondering what happened to him.

A dog can wander off. That can happen to anyone. But why would you not have tags on him so that someone could find who he belongs to?

6 comments:

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I can't imagine why you would have not tags on. My pups have tags and they're micro chipped!

A New England Girl said...

I agree! So many irresponsible pet owners throughout America (and the world). I know you and I share the same deep love for animals, so I imagine I would be worrying just as much as you are over this sweet little boy. I wish people would take the small steps to ensure their pet can be found if something like this happens. But then again, too many don't want to find them when they run off. :(

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Perhaps the owners came upon him. Hope for that.

Debbie @ OtRD said...

I would want to take him in too , but with two dogs we wouldn't be able to either. I hope he found his way home...

Pam said...

Did you ever find out what happened to him? I've kept any number of dogs in my garage and basement, waiting to find the owners. Some have had tags and some have not. It's hard to understand why someone wouldn't get tags for their dogs.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That puts my stomach in a knot. You have to have tags. He might have a scan thing under the skin but that doesn't help the normal person. Skye has both! I hope the owners found him.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.