Monday, June 8, 2009

Congratulations Billy Elliot!

A few months ago I went to New York City and saw my very first show on Broadway, Billy Elliot, the Musical at the Imperial Theater and I know it won't be my last. I loved it! And in case you haven't heard, the show won TEN Tony Awards last evening including Best Musical. I sat through the 3-hour awards show and really enjoyed it. In addition to seeing all the awards that Billy Elliot won, it gave me some ideas of a couple other shows I'd like to see. If you want to read a terrific review of Billy Elliot, The Musical, take a look at Pam's review in her blog, Pam's Perspectives. We went to NYC and saw the show together in February.

The title role of Billy Elliot is danced by three different boys. That teenage trio - David Alvarez, Kiril Kulish and Trent Kowalik -won Best Actor in a Musical last night, the first time three actors were nominated for one musical role.They are also the youngest winners ever of a lead acting prize at the Tony Awards. Kiril Kulish was on the day I saw the show so I have to say I'm somewhat partial to him but I have seen pieces of the show several times where they have all performed and all are fantastic. My favorite moment in the show last evening was when they all came up to accept their Best Actor awards. Despite being the odds-on favorites for the award, they all seemed so sweet and generally surprised by the attention and truly a little speechless.

It was wonderful to see the musical on Broadway and it was great to see them all on the Tony Awards last night. If you have a chance to see the show, I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Pam said...

I watched the show, too! First time ever for me. I'm becoming a very enthusiastic theater fan this year. Anyway, I LOVED Billy Elliot, too and was so glad it won so many awards. I had no idea the actor who played Billy's dad doesn't have an Irish accent in real life. I was floored. (Not sure why I assumed he did). I'm partial to Kiril as well. I was sad that Elton John didn't win for the score, though. Too bad. I love Elton John. Ok, I'm rambling. Bad habit. Thanks for linking to review. You should link to your own as well!

Alex the Girl said...

My daughter is staying in NC for the summer, and since NYC is 8 hours away, she is currently nagging and nagging my sister to bring her to see Billy Elliot. She may get there, she's quite the talented nagger.

Sandy said...

Pam, I felt very 'in the know' to have seen the show considering all the awards. And YES I was a little stunned to realize the actor who played Billy's dad was American! P.S. the link in that post no longer works!

Alex, I hope your daughter prevails! That could be the high point of her summer.

TaylorSwift said...

I've seen Billy Elliot two times. I really enjoyed the show. Last year I got a cheap ticket and I went, it was really a great show. I will go see it for the third time
http://www.ticketsreview.com/theater/billy_elliot_tickets/
So I'll be analyzing as well as enjoying the show.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.