Monday, August 31, 2009

Tales of a Pack Rat and a Collector of Shoes

Another rerun, after all, it is summer.

_________________________________


It's not like I don't sit here at the computer enough between work (my site), blogging (two blogs at the moment) and general time-wasting......but this morning I decided to put a few items out on eBay for auction, too.

Let me say....I don't like to throw perfectly good things away. If it still fits or works, even if it hasn't been worn or used in years, it kills me to just pitch it. We used to have annual yard sales.....that got to be a huge pain in the butt as anyone who has ever done one knows and I quit. We donate to several organizations. Big Sisters picks up a couple times a year and Paul ships boxes to a Native American organization out west regularly. Those groups get clothing mostly.

When I retired from the 'corporate' world in 2000 I went through most of my business clothes and donated much to a local program that helps people getting back on their feet and into the job market prepare for job interviews, etc. But I couldn't part with my shoes! I know many of you ladies out there can relate.

My father used to call me Imelda, as in Imelda Marcos, the lady with the shoe collection. I wear a big shoe (I'll just keep the size to myself, thanks), and they are hard to buy and expensive! Even though I was pretty sure I'd never go back to suits & heels, I didn't dare get rid of my shoes. Every one of the nearly 100 pair was in its original box with a description on the end. I have since altered my system and now put a little digital photo on the box rather than a written description. Makes figuring out WHICH tan sandal is in there a little easier. I know, I'm weird about my shoes.

So when I retired I put dozens of boxes of heels into cartons and up into the attic, just in case. After a few years, I realized I wasn't going back to wearing heels on any regular basis and I pulled the cartons down and decided to try selling them.....on eBay!! Over the course of a few months I sold about 65 pairs of shoes, sandals & boots on eBay. My shoes went all over the country and Canada, some places I've never been. Hey, if I can't go, my shoes might as well! I didn't sell them for a lot of money but at least they weren't in the landfill and someone else was enjoying them. I got great feedback from all.

So this morning I put a pair of sandals that aren't comfortable up for Auction as well as an antique brass trivet and a wooden bowl. They're just sitting on a shelf in the basement getting dusty. As the saying goes.....One man's trash is another man's treasure!

15 comments:

Michele said...

I have a ton of stuff I'd like to sell on ebay but have been hesitate to do so. You've given me inspiration.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Good for you, I like the energy you have. I usually give all things to charity because I'm too lazy to do ebay. Okay, you are way to organized, I'm jealous. See I use to be that way, then I got sick and have gone in the other direction. I use to use a date stamp on the back of my pictures before the camera's started doing it. Yes, I remember it well. I love the picture on the shoebox.
I would have been proud to shoe you my closets years ago but I warn you don't go in there now!!!

kayerj said...

might as well get something out of you stuff. I agree with you on spending too much time on the computer :) I like to sit here and browse while my little ones play.

~Kristen~ said...

I am so ebay phobic but I need to be. There is so much I could sell. I do donate a lot but every now and then it would be nice to make a few bucks! :-)

Debbie said...

I have sold a few things. It was remarkably easy!

mommakin said...

I wear big shoes, too, but I think my youngest is gonna wear bigger. She's 11 and wearing 9's. So, yeah. She's still got a little growing to do.

Tom has bought and sold on eBay. Easy peasy.

Vodka Logic said...

You have inspired me as well. I have some things I need to sell.

Thanks xx

BONNIE K said...

You SOLD 65 pairs and you still have shoes left, Imelda? Wow. You may have inspired me to give my suits away, cause I haven't worn them in 20 years and we wear business casual to work and I will be quite content if I never wear a suit for the rest of my life.

SparkleFarkel said...

I can relate, one of my favorite adages being: "If the shoe fits, put the other one on." How cool to know your shoes are "shuffling off to Buffalo" and beyond! Next stop: THE MOON! Hey diddle diddle! (Another favorite adage of mine.)

SparkleFarkel said...

I can relate, one of my favorite adages being: "If the shoe fits, put the other one on." How cool to know your shoes are "shuffling off to Buffalo" and beyond! Next stop: THE MOON! Hey diddle diddle! (Another favorite adage of mine.)

Mama-Face said...

You should post a tutorial on how to sell on ebay.

You know, you are kind of a wonder woman. If not THE wonder woman. :)

Badass Geek said...

eBay is wonderful for situations such as this. The virtual yard sale.

Jane In The Jungle said...

"Another rerun, afterall it's summer" Cracks me UP!!!

Unknown said...

Since my stay at home mom stint started in 2000 I've stopped wearing so many shoes, I'm left with mostly sandles, some keds and walking shoes and a few pair of flats. I really need to just get rid of the rest. I've never tried ebay, to buy or sell. I mostly give stuff away, but since mine are so old, I guess I just think their value is $0.
I like re run posts............I missed it round 1.

Melissa Miller said...

Great idea Sandy! Someone will get good wear out of them and enjoy them. I am always clearing things out of closets. I'm a compulsive organizer. Drives my poor hubby crazy. At least we know where everything is right? Ha! :)

I'm grabbing your cute button for my blog. I should have already.

~Blessings my friend, ~Melissa :)

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.