Monday, February 1, 2010

Okay, I Admit It, I'm Old

I've always watched entertainment awards shows: Oscars, Tonys, Golden Globes, Emmys, People's Choice, Grammys. I used to know more about the winners and losers.

But last night's Grammys put me over the edge. I don't pay attention to all the current artists like I did once upon a time but I keep up. Back in the day, I went to 3-4 concerts a month. It's a miracle that I'm not deaf. I even got backstage with the tour manager and partied with Jethro Tull not that many years ago. Okay, it was 22 years ago but it seems like yesterday. I still love rock and roll; can still identify dozens of songs by the first couple notes and still know full lyrics of many, many songs.

I don't only listen to old stuff. I listen to the tamer new music out there now but I still listen. But last night's Grammys, what the hell was that? Are they trying to out-weird each other? Whatever happened to musicians showing off their musical talent? I admit I didn't watch all of it, I couldn't. I was bouncing around with the clicker because there were some acts I wanted to see, but I just couldn't stand it long enough to wait.

I watched the opening number with Lady Gaga. I still don't get her. I've seen her a few times but last night I saw way more of her than I cared to. I'm still a huge fan of Elton John and enjoyed hearing them together but what WAS that set all about? For me, she's better to listen to and not have to watch. Maybe if I was a guy. I'm sure many watching were hoping for a boob to pop out or a spin to see the naked butt.

And Pink. Another strange performance. When she came on I knew the robe was going away at some point but, holy crap, she looked like she was dressed in the strapping they use for shipping crates. And the whole Cirque du Soleil thing and the water. Wha? Is is only me or does anyone else feel distracted from the music by those elaborate sets and theatrics?

As much as I enjoy the vocals, I like to watch the musicians PLAY. I wonder who can actually play an instrument today......as in a guitar? There are some great piano players but that's about it.

If I could just go back to Ozzy and Black Sabbath or Alice Cooper, I'd be happy. As wild as they seemed back then, and they'd be pretty tame by today's standards, at least they were about the music. That's what I was there for.

14 comments:

Pam said...

I've never been a big follower of music and I missed the Grammy's, but you make an excellent point about all the props taking away from the music. Maybe it's because these artists don't really have all the much talent. I am sorry I missed Elton John, though. I absolutley love his music.

Unknown said...

My husband and I have had this same conversation the past few years. The Grammy's are for more popular, youth directed music, IMO. I hear a lot of it, I have teens in my house, but I don't like all of it...ha ha.
We watched very little, just not entertaining to me.

mommakin said...

Slash (who I love love love) playing with T-Pain and Jamie Foxx and their little voice altering toys was the first HUGE disappointment of the night for me. I don't know what he was thinking - like maybe that would give him some kind of youth cred or something??? It was dreadful. The costumes I can deal with (to an extent! WTH, Pink!) but the theatrics are way out of hand. And this from someone who shares your love of Alice who is the king of theatrics... and Queen... that was one thing, this ridiculosity is another. I DID watch the whole thing, and it's several hours I'll never get back. Sad.

(I wanna hear about the backstage with Tull thing!!!)

Paloma said...

I guess I am old too because I feel the same way! I didn't watch it at all! Last night it felt like there was REALLY NOTHING good to watch!! Most things on TV were weird, too violent, too dirty, too sick! It's really a jungle out there (and not a good one!)

Happy Monday!

Paloma.

The Old White Barn said...

Bless you, Woman - I don't get it anymore either! I thought it was just me! Thanks for sharing,
Susan

Sultan said...

I've accepted that I am too old to watch these programs anymore. : (

Shana said...

I didn't watch, but I saw some of the pictures. They made me glad I didn't watch. I don't get Lady Gaga either...her songs are annoying and I don't get why she feels the need to look nuts all the time. I'm glad it's not just me.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love award shows but don't watch the Grammy's. I haven't know anyone for awhile now. I know my father who is now 86 says he doesn't really know the actors much anymore either. I don't want that to happen to me but I guess it will at some point.

Joanne said...

I haven't watched the Grammy's yet (sitting on the recorder), but I loved what you said about Lady Gaga - I haven't ever really listened don't know and can't stand looking. But our local news this morning showed some of the act and when she sat at the piano with Sir Elton - WOW. Close your eyes she has talent!!

Ok they were a bit before my time and I LOVE rock - but if you want to talk about over the top who can forget KISS - LOL Gene Simmons certainly won't let us.

Last and Best concert I saw was Bruce and the E-Street Band - awesome!!!!

Vodka Logic said...

I thought Elton and Gaga sounded good together. Complimented each other..loved GreenDay too..

What is with the shows though.. not about the music, but the dancers and glitz

Together We Save said...

I watched the Grammy's with my teenage daughters... so excited that Little Wayne was going to perform. They muted almost the whole performance. How can that be entertainment?

Anonymous said...

I, too, realized I was old when I couldn't recognize half the people in people magazine. We praise "older" women in our blog Writing Without Periods!" Love your blog.
Mary

Badass Geek said...

You may be older than I am, but I'm right there with you. Give me Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, any of the CLASSIC rock stuff any day over today's music.

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to hear from a fellow New Englander (I'm from MA, but live in NH now). I'm with you about not getting the new stuff. I don't even watch award shows anymore. I love hard rock/classic rock too. I'm following you now.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.