Friday, February 26, 2010

Dad Would Be Proud


I took this photo of a cotoneaster beside an antique cultivator last fall. This is one of several antique farm implements on our property that came from Paul's grandfather's farm. This one sits in a rock garden in our yard. Paul remembers walking behind the cultivator hooked to one of the farm horses and in front of his grandfather. Walking behind a cultivator and a horse? What century was that?

With this photo, last fall, for the first time in my life, I entered a photo competition. I actually entered two contests and won both with the same photo. The real estate company I work with, Residential Properties Ltd., has a photo competition four times a year, one for each season. We have so many fabulous photographers among our agents, I never considered entering a photo until I saw this one. The winning photos are used as part of a slide show on the company's website. Most of the winning photos have always been interesting houses or local scenery. This was a little out of the ordinary but I think they liked it because it was in my yard and had a personal story.

The second contest I entered with this photo was on the blog The Badass Geek . A professional photographer himself, The Geek has a really cool website at Shift Photography, please go visit him. Feeling pretty full of myself after having won the company contest, I figured 'why not?' I entered and won! The Geek actually offered a prize. I was told to choose a photo from his website which he would send matted and ready to frame. I picked a beautiful sunset over water which arrived yesterday.

I started taking pictures when I was eight years old. I don't know what I was using for a camera back then but I remember seeing what looked like 35mm negative strips hanging in our make-shift darkroom. Soon I had my own little 110 Instamatic. I've moved up a little since then. Here's my newest camera.

My father set up a darkroom in the cellar of our house in the early 1960's. And I do mean cellar. Half the floor in the cellar of our early 19th century house was dirt. The photo enlarger was on an old work bench. I use to develop and print black and white photos. There were only three baths necessary to develop black & white and many, many more for color so we only worked in black & white. My father is gone so I can't ask him so my memory of the whole process may be a little fuzzy.

I remember how cool it was to watch pictures of my dog Missey come up from the trays. Notice there's always a dog in my stories? I still have some of those photos. I also remember one day, in my clumsy way, knocking a bottle of a chemical wash over in my mother's kitchen. I watched the cabinets instantly turn white as the stuff splashed across the wood. Fortunately it washed off but for a minute I thought I was in big trouble.

So after starting my photography experience in a dirt cellar 45+ years ago, I still enjoy taking pictures.

13 comments:

Eclipsed said...

Stopping by from SITS

I don't know much about photography, but that is a beautiful picture. It must be so rewarding to receive accolades for something that you love so much.

Jayde said...

That's a great shot. I learned developing and printing in highschool and loved it. I too have been a camera-bug most of my life. Thabks for the link to a new photography site to check out! Have a great day!

Anita said...

Nice work Sandy, I really like the different elements I see in that photo.
I love how your life has such beautiful links and crossings, from the dogs to the photography, to the farm implements that Paul used as a child. All very lovely!

deiala said...

I got my first camera when I was around 8. It was a simple shot-and-go, that would do everything by itself. I liked that, but always felt very limited (I think it didn't even have a zoom).
Some years ago I got a digital camera from my dad that would do everything. So I've been taking pics with that one. I love taking pics, but sometimes they don't turn out the way I'd like them to.
I also started taking pics with my dad's DSLR. Funnily enough, though this camera doesn't do much else than my own, all the pics turned out fantastically... So everytime I need a camera now, I borrow my dad's.
BTW. Isn't it funny, that it's mostly the dads that bring their daughters to photography???

Pam said...

Wow! I didn't even know you entered these contests. Congratulations. Is this the photo you entered in both? It's gorgeous. Are you going to display it somewhere? Your office, maybe?

Michele said...

What a lovely photo. No wonder you won.

Badass Geek said...

That really is a great picture.

Thanks for the mention!

Katherine said...

Congrats! The photo is absolutely beautiful.

I haven't shot in film for years, even though I kicked and drug my feet before giving in and going digital. But I still miss the days of using my high school's dark room to develop film and expose pictures.

And a digital SLR is on the top of my wish list.

Just Breathe said...

Your photo is wonderful. I really love it. I moved from my point and shoot to another one. I was too afraid to try the big ones.
I paid around $400. for it and I like it but I still want to advance to the Canon Rebel. I hear so many nice things about and love everyones pictures that I see that are taken by that camera. But I hate to spend the money on it when I just spent the $400. in October.

A 2 Z said...

I have the same question as everybody else: is the picture you posted the one that help you win twice. You are a natural. Congrats!

Wanda said...

Your lovely photo caught my eye immediately, loved the graceful and rustic quality, like Beauty and the Beast!

Laoch of Chicago said...

The Japanese would say that your photo has wabi-sabi.

Mommakin said...

I remember when you won over at BAG's! My daughter is interested in photography right now. I hope it sticks...

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.