Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Don't Know If My Clients Will Get the Fist Bump

I'm beginning to wonder if I've become a germaphobe. Maybe it's all this talk about hand sanitizers, antibacterial wipes, sanitizing sprays, etc., during this so-called flu epidemic, but I don't know.

I think I've been coming to this for a long time. I've had hand sanitizer in my bag forever but seldom used it, and I always have wipes in the console of my car because I am on the road a lot and sometimes eat on the run.

I have always had a problem with dirty hands. I'm not good with finger food. It's a wonder that I can even eat a sandwich. I always have to have two napkins; one in my lap and one for my hands and mouth.

When I started in real estate I had to learn to shake hands more easily. I got used to it and now it's usually second nature. Until recently. I don't reach first as often. Of course, if someone offers their hand, I readily shake it. And then discretely run to wash my hands as soon as possible.

But let me tell you what has been going on. I read before going to sleep every night as I lay in bed. The other night as I turned the page of the library book, there between the pages was a short, black hair! Holy crap. But before I could get up to get rid of it, it fell out! I had my robe over me on the bed which I carefully lifted up and shook out. That robe went right into the laundry basket. Ewwwww, I was so grossed out!

I think it's time for a Kindle. The problem is that I don't buy many books. But I'm starting to rethink library books. I definitely get up and wash before going to sleep after reading. Of course with the Kindle you have to buy the downloaded books which I'm not crazy about.

Back to my germaphobia. As I said I do carry hand sanitizer and have begun to use it regularly. Something else that freaks me out is restaurant menus. As soon as I pass the menu back to the waiter, I either go to the ladies room to wash or use the sanitizer. Who knows what's on those menus!?

Let's see, what else? My bed. No pets have ever slept in or even ON my bed. I've only had one cat and she used a litter box......major ewwwww. Don't even get me started about people who let cats on their counters and tables.

There's no getting between the sheets in anything that sat on a couch or chair either. Absolutely not. Paul humors me on that but he generally doesn't sit on the couch in what he wears to bed anyway. You figure it out.

However, he does have occasional lapses in judgement. A few weeks ago before we fell asleep he jumped up, went downstairs and into the garage. I have no idea what he was doing but when he came back into the bedroom, I asked..."Did you go into the garage barefoot?" He had, and he said so. I immediately said "you can't get back into bed with THOSE feet!" Rather than argue with me he went into the bathroom and washed them. Good man.

When he got back into bed, I mumbled...."Men, not much better than barnyard animals....."

14 comments:

A 2 Z said...

That is so funny! I like the part about your husband having to wash his feet because he went into the garage. I dont think mine would have agreed. He would have said: you dont like my feet, well you are not getting the rest of me either! Men.... (: D)

Pam said...

This is EXACTLY why Geoff won't read library books. And trust me I've found much worse things between the pages of library books. I know, it's yucky, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

BTW, I had no idea you were such a germaphobe. You hide it well. But you're secret's out now.

LOL!

Shana said...

Ewwwww!!! You should speak to your library...some are now "loaning" digital books. I have a Nook (from Barnes & Noble) and it has a feature that allows you to loan books to friends. It's fabulous. My mom and I read the same books, so now we can share and spend half as much! You should check it out.

Oh - and my realtor kissed me hello the other day. Really??? That was so wierd.

Mama-Face said...

What about hotel rooms? Airplane seats?

You just gave the reason I rarely check out library books-even though my life's dream is to be a librarian.

Get a kindle...I am in love with mine.

Unknown said...

I almost feel like I have to shower after reading this post!!! I'm not easily freaked out, and often walk around barefoot and get right into bed, wear my jammies in the living room, and don't wash my hands after handling a library book and going to bed. I'm guessing you are re-thinking every visiting my home!!!
Just teasing you Sandy!! I love the idea and convenience of the Kindle, but the price and the need to buy more books keeps me on the fence.
I don't shake as many hands as I formerly did, and I do use hand gel way too much......just ask my kids!

Elle said...

I can totally relate to this! I've always had a problem with dirty hands, and I do the same two napkin thing that you do. I also carry hand wipes with me where ever I go.

The book thing almost made me cry. Unknown hair?!?! OMG...ewwwww...almost hyperventilating!

Katherine said...

I'll admit it...I'm not really much of a germaphobe. Despite the fact I work at a hospital. While I'm at the hospital, I am the hand-sanitizer queen. I basically sweat Avagard hand cleaner. But at home, as long as everyone washes their hands before dinner and after going to the bathroom, that's all I can ask. Having two little boys will do that to you. And so far, neither of them has contracted anything horrible from eating dirt and licking the shopping cart. I wish I was kidding. And now you know why you don't use shopping carts.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I have my issues too. They are different then yours. It's like when my husband eats out of the ice cream container, pisses me off! I guess you may not want to come to my house and stay. :(

Brittany said...

My husband teases me for washing my hands so much. I just can't stand when they feel grimey! Plus, I love it when my wedding ring sparkles, lol.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Hahahha! I think we all have our things. I always wash my hands or use sanitizer after pushing a cart at the grocery store. And I hate to have to watch people brushing or flossing their teeth. And....

Unknown said...

I'm exactly the same way, I keep asking my husband did you wash your hands? when the answers is "yes" I'll ask with soap? As for books from the library, I feel I need to put on gloves to touch one... now I know I'm not alone:)
Stopping by form SITS.A new follower.
Have a lovely day.
Anat

Badass Geek said...

I think the fist bump is underrated.

Unknown said...

I have an award for you on my blog :)
anat

Dalia (Generation X Mom) said...

I will admit I am a total germaphobe, a little too much. And, I have passed it on to my kids, poor things. We have hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE. I recently wrote a post about this on my blog...check it out. www.generationxmomblog.com

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.