Thursday, August 26, 2010

Curious? Open This Pandora

Sometimes I forget just how much I love music. There are so many songs that bring me back to a particular time or place in my life. But I go through periods of time when I don't listen to music at all, and all I can do is listen. I can't sing. I don't play an instrument. I can dance but not very well and you're not likely to see me on television unless it's on America's Funniest Videos.

As I write this I'm sitting with my Bose headphones (love 'em, too) listening to Pandora. You know Pandora Radio, don't you? They call it Internet radio and so far it's free. I like free.

You get to play disc jockey for yourself and make what they call stations. Put in an artist or band and they create a play list of songs from not only that artist but others they think have a similar sound and style. Each station is given the name of the artist or band that you choose and it's saved for you to go back to. You can even choose QuickMix and they'll play songs randomly.

One very cool feature is an option to give a song a thumbs up or thumbs down. If you don't care for a song, pick the thumbs down icon and you'll get a little apologetic message saying Sorry, we'll NEVER play this song again. You can also ask why the song was chosen for you, get the full lyrics of the song, the bio of the artist or a list of similar artists that you can, of course, create another station for.

The do have ads every so often but they aren't nearly as annoying as regular over-the-air radio. I suppose they do need some advertising so that they can continue to be free. I imagine they may begin charging eventually but as long as it's free it's for me.

So what, I hear you asking, are some of MY stations? If you could log on as me these are some you'd see:

Buddy Holly
Frankie Valli
The Beatles
Billy Joel
Rascal Flatts
The Righteous Brothers
The Doors
Dave Matthews Band
The Fray
Coldplay
Eric Clapton
Nickelback

I'm listening to Jethro Tull now. I just asked for a list of artists similar to JT. Seals and Crofts was suggested. Huh? Really? Yeah, I know Ian Anderson plays flute on some cuts but Seals and Crofts?? I don't think so......



Just in case anyone is wondering, I didn't write this because Pandora asked me to.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sandy -- I'm a good friend of Pam's so I've been reading your blog since she started hers and referenced you. I know we've met -- at least at her wedding -- though I'm sure you don't remember me! While I've never commented on your posts before I just wanted to say that we love Pandora in this house -- especially my 14 yr old son. He (and now all his friends) use it all the time since besides the computer you can get an app for iPods too.

Gail Foelsch

Jeanie said...

This is weird you write this now -- When I was in NC shopping, I asked the guys at the counter what was playing on the CD -- it was a wonderful compilation. They told me it was Pandora but I forgot the name till now. I'm glad you have it -- and now I will remember!

Sahildeki Ev said...

Thanks for this great tip. Now I will rush to try..

Sahildeki Ev said...

Thanks for this great tip. Now I will rush to try..

tullriffic said...

Hi Sandy, A friend of mine tunened me into Pandora yesterday and I do agree with you , that some of the music that they suggest is a stretch. But I can see believe it or not some Tull and Seals and Crofts being suggested together. The more accoustic side of Tull etc Reasons For Waiting, Summerday Sands, Dun Ringill, and a host of others that are less well known Ian Anderson songs match up well with lot of accoustic artists. Tull is a very hard group to to put in any one genre. Thanks for your blog, and the I look foward to reading it often.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've never heard of it but I am going to check it out. I always have movies on. Thank you.

Fabulous Terrah said...

Pandora is definitely my favorite phone app. I'm even listening to it right now! Embarrassingly enough it's playing Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer and I pressed 'like.'

Anonymous said...

We LOVE Pandora! Whenever we have people over, they ask stuff like, "What station is this?" Or, "Is this a mix?" We always tell them, "It's Pandora!"

And no, I was not paid to comment about this either, lol.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.