Saturday, August 21, 2010

I Think Sam Would Be Disappointed


As I sit by the window on this crisp, clear, almost fall-like Saturday morning, I can hear the pile drivers, two miles away as the crow flies, at the site of the new mega-shopping center inappropriately named Dowling “Village.”

I am so sad and so sorry for the people who live even closer. And we are supposed to welcome yet another Super WalMart and to our lovely little town of 11,000 people. I can hear the sucking sound as it begins to take the life out of our town.

I'm sorry for my friend Ruth who owns Hi-on-a-Hill Herb Farm which abuts this disgrace. Ruth is the fifth generation to live on their 75-acres. Do we really need more roll-backs? Foolish, foolish people.

8 comments:

SparkleFarkel said...

Man, oh, man. How my heart goes out to you and the village and especially Ruth. This is a far cry from "super." Shame on you, Walmart. And it's a bad, bad joke for them to claim the word in their title. Truly heartbreaking indeed. I am so sorry.

SparkleFarkle~~~~~*

DUTA said...

All these mega shopping centers do indeed " take the life out of your town", of any town. How sad!

Sahildeki Ev said...

Sorry to hear that. Its the same here,I dont know how many more shopping centers they are going to built

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Really, you already have one! Why would they need another one. Sorry.

Sultan said...

Evil creeps in on cat like feat.

MissKris said...

"Progress"...who needs it? And even more importantly, who WANTS it?! Your story here reminds me of the small town of Hollis, NH, where one of my mom's cousins had a home tucked back on a dead-end street kind of 'out in the country' near Silver Lake. Then a strip/shopping mall was built abutting the back of their property. Completely, totally, forever ruined it. Bah humbug.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site itsarealjungleoutthere.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Jeanie said...

The little town where I go for summer vacation and weekends in Northern Michigan was "invaded" by Wal-Mart (followed by the other box stores). Two grocery stores, three hardware stores and at least one clothing store went out of business in the two or three years that followed. I feel so bad for the town. I understand the desire to purchase things less expensively, I really do. Yet... it feels so wrong.

So, I try to make it my personal mission to buy kitchen gadgets from the small kitchen store, hit the local book store, do what I can up there. And every summer when I return, I think,"Please let this store (or that) be there when we go up..."

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.