Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Blog Therefore I Am?

That's a question not a statement. Over the last few months I haven't been blogging much. This is due to several things; I've been busy, it's too hot, nobody cares. Pick one.

The main reason is that I started questioning why I blog. When I started 18 months ago I really had no idea why I wanted to write a blog. I don't have any definitive answer even now. But I know I enjoyed it and still do but I really began to ask Does anyone care? Does anyone really want to know what I think?

Then I began to miss it. And I realized I wasn't writing for anyone but myself. I did/do enjoy the comments people leave but because I don't spend nearly as much time visiting other blogs, my traffic has slowed down and so have the comments. That's okay. I like to hear myself talk.

I do know that some people are paying attention to my blog(s), there are four now. Seriously, I'm not kidding, four blogs. Recently the IT director for our agency, Tom, planned a tech panel for the quarterly company meeting. I was really flattered when Tom asked me to sit on the panel and talk about blogging.

There would be seven agents with certain knowledge of technology speaking about their areas of expertise. Tom actually called me a blogging expert. Whoa! I'm not an expert on anything but I have gathered quite a bit of experience with blogging recently. Despite being a little uncomfortable speaking before large groups, I said yes.

There were seven of us on the panel and the other six all had some really interesting things to offer. I'm sure we all learned some new things. I happened to be the seventh to speak. By then I saw that eyes had begun to glaze over so I cut my comments short.

I told them that Blogger is my format of choice because of its user-friendliness especially because I have no technology background. I talked about commenting and followers and about the difference (for me) between business related blogs (like my real estate blog) and personal blogs. I also spoke about the blogging community and about the blog Words of Wisdom that I was part of developing.

After I was finished Tom told the audience I was being modest about my blogging and that he thinks my designs are terrific. He also said that I have achieved some of the best search engine optimization he has ever seen. A year ago I didn't even know what search engine optimization meant. I'm not even sure I know now. Whatever it is, it was an accident.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

First I'd like to say,I enjoy your blog, but I honestly am not as addicted to reading as much as I once was. I write for me, and I often think my blog is boring.
What a huge compliment from Tom, and what is search engine optimization...lol!?

Anonymous said...

I don't comment nearly as often as I used to. But I still write just as often. Like you, I've just focused more on writing for ME. And if I get comments, then that's great! But that's not the goal.

Still a reader of yours, even though I don't comment as much :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I like that you have been posting again. Blogging should be for you. I like to share my life with everyone but I also hope that someday when I am gone someone will like learning more about the real me and love me for it. I can't believe I had even learned how to make a post let alone all the extras we put on them. It's a mystery to me still.

Sultan said...

Self expression is a fundamental human need.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"search engine optimization"

If you figure out how to translate that, let us know. I had to laugh - sometimes I blog because I like to hear myself talk, too.

betty-NZ said...

We all have our reasons for blogging and I am constantly amazed at the amount of followers that are out there.

I'm glad you figured out your reasons for blogging!

Pam said...

I suffer from the bloging blahs now and then, too.

I wondered how that panel discussion went. Sounds like it was successful!

Unknown said...

Good post, and I enjoy your blog, and Words of Wisdom, and that being said am also time pressed as we all are, so blog writing and especially reading are sometimes pushed aside. Often lately it seems.

I miss it and am eager to come back to reading and writing blogs when am 'away', aka overwhelmed by life.

Is healthy to write - glad you are back!

Jeanie said...

Well, I have to laugh, because a couple of days ago, the prof. organization I'm in asked me to staff their social media help desk for part of the conference because I was such a blogging expert! (God forbid if they ask about Twitter.)

I just fell in love with blogging when I discovered it (almost three years ago!) I still don't know what my blog voice is, but it's just me, and I guess that's enough. People check in (googleanalytics tells me lots more visit than comment) and I love checking in on my blog pals.

Yes, sometimes life gets in the way (like recently) and I don't visit so often, then catch up. That's ok. Blogging without obligation is what makes it good. And I've loved the people I've had the chance to meet. Old friends who'd never met...! Congrats, you expert!

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.