Monday, June 1, 2009

Adventures on OBX

I'm baa-ack! I hope someone missed me. Went to see my new friends, the Wild Horses of Corolla, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. This little guy was sitting right along side the road, didn't seem to care that I was pointing a camera in his direction.

Supposedly these wild horses are descendants of mustangs brought by the Spaniards in the 16th century. The Corolla Wild Horse Fund was formed in 1989 by a group of concerned citizens to heighten awareness about the presence of wild horses in the area. They are protected and fines can be imposed for feeding, approaching or disturbing them in any way. The only way to visit them is across the beach via 4-wheel drive. They can be somewhat elusive but we had no trouble locating several groups including this little one.

After riding around looking for horses we spent the rest of the day just hanging out on the beach reading, fishing, picnicing and just plain relaxing! It was heavenly. We did that a few times during our stay on OBX. I'm not much of a beach person being a redhead and a burner rather than a tanner but I could get used to this!






5 comments:

Michele said...

That would be so easy to get used to.

Pam said...

Awesome pictures! I love how deserted the beach is. Looks like heaven.

Sandy said...

Michele, but if I lived there what would I have to look forward to? Hmmmm, like to find out.

Pam, the beach really is that deserted. As long as you don't mind vehicles driving by occasionally, it's like you have your own personal beach.

Alex the Girl said...

Ah, the beaches there are lovely. We've gone there in both the summer and winter. Awesome pictures.

Sandy said...

Alex, the beaches really are wonderful especially since the people on them are few and far between.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.