Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Soldier's Thanksgiving

As I worked on the sweet potato casserole to bring to Pam's this afternoon, I listened to the television in the background. A broadcast from an American Army base in Afghanistan caught my attention.

Lester Holt was interviewing soldiers and stopped to talk to two men who turned out to be brothers from Maine. Lester asked what was going on in their house back in Maine. They hesitated a little then answered Dad's probably asleep being tired after his early morning hunt, Mom's working in the kitchen and Gram's on her way down.

Those words just hit me right in the heart and tears started. You see, my husband Paul hasn't come home yet from his morning hunt, we called my beloved grandmother Gram, and my whole family is from Maine.

Unless we have a loved one serving overseas most of us are not even touched by the wars going. Please stop and give thanks today and say a prayer for these brave men and women who are so far from home and their families.



Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing this story.
Keeping all the soldiers in my prayers along with their families.
Have a wonderful day and enjoy all the delicious food.

Unknown said...

I saw the same segment, and those brothers were adorable, and I felt so sentimental for them too.
It's hard to imagine that life, but I I appreciate them.

Pam said...

I saw part of Lester Holt's interview too, but missed the brothers from Maine. I did see a group of soldiers eating Thanksgiving together and felt sad that they were away from their families this year. I can only imagine how hard that would be.

La Petite Gallery said...

Dear Sandy, I live in Maine, and your story brought tears to my eyes.
My Coustns Daughter just cam back from Iraq, Safe and Sound. I went to her wedding in NYC , she is a Capt. and a dentist. I pray for all our solders to come home safe and sound. Please come and visit.
yvonne

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.